10 March 2016
The Alice Smith School Bursaries & Scholarships
The Alice Smith School offers both scholar and bursary schemes for students to study in the Sixth Form. As one of the most prestigious and respected British international schools in Asia, the school has an established reputation for excellence.
Established in Kuala Lumpur since 1946, the school is one of the first in Malaysia and in South-East Asia to be accredited, with an excellent grading, as a British School Overseas by the Department for Education in London.The Alice Smith School offers the AQA Baccalaureate in addition to A Levels, an added advantage when students seek placements for university. The AQA Baccalaureate is an academic qualification which builds on a student’s core A Level subjects, adding value through wider learning and enrichment activities. Students complete an extended project in addition to 100 hours of enrichment activities in work related learning, community participation and personal development activities. The challenge, rigour and quality of Sixth Form study prepares scholars to gain entry to the very best universities worldwide.
As a not-for-profit educational foundation, all of the school’s resources are focused on the well-being, progress and success of its students.
Kindly click on the various links below for further information on the scholarships.
Applications for Reach for the Stars scholarships are now open. All applications must be submitted by no later than Thursday, 10 March 2016. Click on the link below for information on the scholarship application process.
For enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Reach for the Stars Scholarship
In conjunction with its 70th anniversary, Alice Smith School is pleased to offer a limited number of academic “Reach for the Stars” scholarships to study for A levels in the Sixth Form at the Secondary Campus in Seri Kembangan, Equine Park.
Reach for the Stars Scholarship benefits include a 25% tuition fee reduction in addition to the waiver of enrolment fee and building fund contribution worth RM 25,000.
The underlying aim of these partial scholarship is to make sixth form study at the school more accessible to students who have the desire, drive and ambition to study in a truly diverse, dynamic and caring community, learning with exceptional teachers and with students from over 45 different nations.
As for KLASS scholarship recipients, selected Reach for the Stars scholars are expected to be positive role models for the school community, achieving high levels of excellence in both academic and non-academic fields.
Applications for Reach for the Stars scholarships are now open. All applications must be submitted by no later than 10 March 2016. Click on the Scholarship Application Process link below for further information.
Scholarship Application Process
Applications for Reach for the Stars scholarships are now open. Scholarships offered will be based on merit, with the following criteria:
- Demonstrated outstanding academic ability.
- Demonstrated outstanding talent in the performing Arts or in Sport.
- Characteristics expected of an Alice Smith School student, not only in terms of their studies, but also in their all round contribution to their school and the wider community.
- Potential to be a worthy ambassador for the Alice Smith School.
- English language ability.
The maximum length of each scholarship will be two years (the duration for A level studies in the Sixth Form).
The Application Process
All applications must be submitted by no later than Thursday, 10 March 2016 to the following address:
Ms Agnes ChangKindly include the following:
The Alice Smith School
No. 3 Jalan Equine
Equine Park, 43300 Seri Kembangan
Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
- Completed application form (hand-written)
- A typed personal statement of no more than 400 words
- A copy of SPM or I/GCSE forecast results and most recent school report
- A letter of recommendation from the current Principal (or teacher) and a letter of recommendation from an adult outside the school environment who knows the candidate through their extra-curricular activities, either sports, music, arts, or community service.
Download Application Form
Please click here for a copy of the Application form.
- Please visit our school website www.alice-smith.edu.my and read through the documentation on the Sixth Form. You must be able to meet the criteria for entry into the Sixth Form.
- The Alice Smith School Secondary Campus is a day school, located in Equine Park, Seri Kembangan. The campus is easily accessible from the city centre via the MEX (Kuala Lumpur - Putrajaya) Highway.
- The Reach for the Stars Scholarship is a partial scholarship.
- Your 400 word personal statement is your opportunity to tell the Alice Smith School why you should become an Alice Smith Scholar.
- You need to demonstrate your enthusiasm and commitment to a British A-level course and the extracurricular activities offered at Alice Smith. You also need to demonstrate your ability to fit into an international environment and to aim high in your future goals. You also need to demonstrate that you are a well-rounded student, with both academic and other interests. You can include photographs or other electronic media with your personal statement.
The Alice Smith Schools Association offers a limited number of full academic scholarships for post-SPM Malaysian students to study for their A Levels at our Secondary Campus in Seri Kembangan, Equine Park. The KLASS Scholar scheme is a Sixth Form study programme for high achieving Malaysian students who join the Alice Smith School in Year 12, following their national SPM examinations.
The KLASS scholarship is a full scholarship, covering the cost of Sixth Form entry in addition to Sixth Form tuition fees. The underlying aim of this full scholarship is to benefit bright post-SPM Malaysian students with limited financial means. In return, the selected scholars are expected to be positive role models for the school community, achieving high levels of excellence in both academic and non-academic fields.
To date, the Alice Smith School has guided twenty young Malaysians to a bright future through its current scholarship programme and will continue to provide this outreach and support to the Malaysian community further in the future.
Applications for the KLASS scholarships for 2016 are currently closed. The next KLASS scholarship intake will be taking place in September/October 2016 (for a January 2017 start). For more information, kindly email email@example.com.
The bursary scheme is for existing Alice Smith School students only.
The purpose of the bursary scheme for study in the Sixth Form at the Alice Smith School is to recognise and support the achievement of academic excellence in Years 10 and 11 and encourage the pursuit of very high academic standards in the Sixth Form. Each year the bursary scheme offers a discount in tuition fees for existing Alice Smith students who display academic excellence and will be starting their A Level courses in September.
Unlike the KLASS scholarship scheme, financial circumstances are not taken into consideration in awarding the bursaries. The bursaries are awarded on outstanding achievement and academic merit only. Awards of this nature are highly regarded by universities and colleges, in recognition of the recipients excellent academic achievement. The bursary nominations and final offers are made on a faculty basis, with each faculty developing specific criteria for the nomination process to support the general criteria agreed by the Council of Governors and the school leadership. In meeting the general criteria for a bursary, the minimum requirement for any student nominated by a faculty is that the student has:
- Demonstrated outstanding ability in the subject area (with outstanding or excellent achievement across all subjects being studied).
- Displayed the characteristics expected of an Alice Smith School student, not only in terms of their studies, but also in their all round contribution to the school and the wider community.
- Been, at all times, a worthy ambassador of the school.