2 April 2016
Yayasan Sime Darby Pre-University Scholarship Programme (Local)
Yayasan Sime Darby invites qualified SPM 2015 leavers to apply for education sponsorship to pursue foundation studies locally.
We are looking for well-rounded Malaysian candidates who have attained excellent academic achievement, demonstrate outstanding leadership qualities and potential and who devote time to make an impact to the community through their extra-curricular activities.
Recipients of this scholarship will be sponsored to pursue foundation studies locally to prepare themselves for undergraduate admission at top universities in the United Kingdom.
Pre-University scholars would be given priority for Yayasan Sime Darby Undergraduate Scholarship (Overseas) upon meeting the qualifying criteria after completion of their foundation studies. The continuation of the degree programme is at the sole discretion of Yayasan Sime Darby.
Eligibility and Minimum Requirement
Applicant for this programme must fulfill the following requirements:
- Aged 18 years old or below;
- Obtained at least 7 As (A+ and A only) for SPM 2015 Examination;
- Total monthly gross household income of RM10,000 and below;
- Active participation in extra-curricular activities, sporting event and community service;
- Strong leadership qualities through various leadership positions held in school and societies;
- Good communication skills.
Scholarships will be offered to candidates who are inclined to pursue the following fields of study, subject to university’s admission offer:
1. Business related courses:
- International Business
- Mechanical Engineering
- Information Technology/Information System
- Actuarial Science
- Mathematics/Statistical Science
- Agricultural Science
- Environmental Science
- Plantation Technology
Appointed Academic Institution
Below is the list of academic institution accepted by YSD for the scholarship programme:
Foundation studies : Kolej Yayasan UEM (KYUEM, Lembah Beringin)
Undergraduate studies :
- Oxford University
- University of Cambridge
- University College London
- Imperial College London
- London School of Economics
- King’s College London
- University of Warwick
- University of Manchester
- University of Bristol
Full scholarship includes tuition fees, board and lodging and book allowance.
Recipients of scholarship will have the opportunity to undergo Scholars Development Programme and experience work exposure through internship within the Sime Darby Group of Companies.
Note: Students' admission to the assigned preparatory college will be arranged by YSD.
Service Bond Period
On completion of foundation and undergraduate studies, scholars will be required to serve Sime Darby Group of Companies for 5 to 6 years, depending on the duration and value of the award.
Online application for 2015 intake is available from 3 March to 2 April 2016.
Incomplete applications and applications with insufficient supporting documents will be rejected.
Applicants will have to fill up and pass the eligibility check to apply for the scholarship. Applicants who pass the eligibility check will immediately receive via e-mail the login details to submit the application form via YSD scholarship portal (YSMS). Please read the Frequently Asked Questions and the Online Application Guidelines before you proceed.
Guidelines to Fill Up the Eligibility Check:
- For University, choose Kolej Yayasan UEM or KYUEM as your option
- For Course field, choose "Example: Others"
- For Status field, choose Pending. This means you have yet to apply for the university stated above. Admission to the university will be arranged by YSD for the recipients of this scholarship programme
- Login password must consist of alphanumeric character with at least one upper case
- To click save button at each page before proceeding to the next page
- Parents Mykad (front & back) to be scanned in a same page and uploaded as one attachment
- Individual attachment size must not exceed 1MB (file size can be reduced by adjusting printer/scanner resolution or by compressing the file)
- The answer given for page 11 of 12 should not exceed 500 characters in total. Characters refer to alphabet, symbols, numbers and etc. Make sure your answers are within the limit otherwise, you will not be able to properly submit your application.