Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) Scholarship for Undergraduate StudiesThe Government of Japan offers the following scholarship programmes each year for Malaysian nationals to apply. Interested applicants are advised to read the guidelines carefully. Unless stated otherwise, scholarship applications should be made to the Embassy of Japan, Kuala Lumpur.
MEXT Scholarship Application PeriodMarch every year
Japanese Undergraduate Scholarship Overview & Eligibility requirement
- Secondary school graduate or equivalent
- At least 17 and under 22
- Duration: 5 years including Japanese-language training (7 years for medicine, dentistry, pharmacy and veterinary science)
- Preliminary Japanese-language training: 1 year (Tokyo University of Foreign Studies and Osaka University)
- Fields of study: Undergraduate education
- Designated countries: Worldwide (100 countries and regions)
- Planned number of new scholarship recipients: 460 people
- Scholarship stipend: ¥117,000～120,000 per month
- Tuition: Tuition for national universities and Institute of National College of Technology waived; tuition for public and private universities paid for by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
- Travel allowance: Roundtrip fare (air ticket) provided
- Embassy recommendation: Yes
- University recommendation (overseas application): No
- Examinations required for Embassy recommendation for undergraduate students: Japanese , English, mathematics and science (Only science faculty examinees are required to choose two out of the following three subjects: chemistry, physics or biology)
Sample Application Form/ Guidelines Download:Form / Sample / Guidelines
* Please read the guidelines carefully.
Application Process (application for academic year 2018)
- ~ 7 April 2017 Submit application form by due date.
- May 2017 Written examination. Only successful candidates will be notified to sit for the examination.
- July 2017 Interview. Only successful candidates will be notified to attend the interview.
- August 2017 Nomination to Tokyo Headquarters.
- January ~ February 2018 Notification of nomination result (final result).
- April 2018 Depart to Japan.
- Late submissions will not be entertained no matter what reasons are given.
- Applications without sufficient documents (stated in the guidelines) will not be considered.
- Submitted application forms and documents will not be returned, whatever reasons given.
- The decision on successful candidates made by the Embassy of Japan is final. Any queries on the final decision will not be entertained.