28 October 2016
Rhodes Scholarships for Malaysia, in Partnership with Yayasan Khazanah
The Rhodes Scholarship is administered by the Rhodes Trust, Oxford, United Kingdom. Scholarships are awarded in 43 different countries around the world. Selection Committees for the Rhodes Scholarship are looking for outstanding leaders who are motivated to 'fight the world's fight and to esteem the performance of public duties as their highest aim', and to promote international understanding and peace. In short, Selection Committees seek young women and men of outstanding intellect, character, leadership, and commitment to service, who demonstrate a strong propensity to emerge as 'leaders for the world’s future'. Candidates for the Rhodes Scholarship will be assessed against four criteria:
- literary and scholastic attainments
- energy to use one's talents to the full (as demonstrated by extracurricular strength, such as in sport, debate, music, dance, etc.)
- truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
- moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one's fellow beings.
Candidates’ conditions of eligibility
- Citizenship: Malaysian citizen
- Age: Age limits vary between constituencies and are based on country specific circumstances. The standard age limit is 19-25 by 1 October in the year following selection.
- Education: All applicants must have achieved academic standing sufficiently advanced to assure completion of a bachelor’s degree by the October following election. Academic standing must be sufficiently high to ensure admission to the University of Oxford, which has very competitive entry requirements, and to give confidence that Rhodes Scholars will perform to a high academic standard in Oxford. Individual constituencies may specify a specific academic level to have been attained.
a. Applicants should apply online from 1 September at: www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/malaysia . Applications must be submitted by the closing date specified above.
b. The Selection Committee will invite candidates they wish to see to a personal interview on a Friday/Saturday 11/12 November 2016 (to be confirmed) . No candidate will be selected without a personal interview. The final selection is confirmed by the Rhodes Trustees, who rely on selection procedures undertaken by selection committees in each constituency.
c. Candidates who do not receive further communication by the above date should assume that their application has not been successful.