1 December 2016
The University of Hong Kong Scholarships & Fellowships for MPhil & PhD Students
1. Hong Kong PhD Fellowship (HKPF) Scheme.
2. University Postgraduate Fellowships (UPF).
3. Postgraduate Scholarships (PGS).
1. Hong Kong PhD Fellowship (HKPF) Scheme
Initial application to Research Grants Council:
September 1 2016, Noon - December 1 2016, Noon (Hong Kong Time)
Full application to University:
September 1 - December 1 2016
2 & 3. UPF and PGS
September 1 - December 1 2016
HKPF and UPF are available for selected full-time PhD students.
- Hong Kong PhD Fellowship (HKPF) Scheme
- New applicants to full-time PhD programmes in government-funded institutions in Hong Kong, irrespective of their country of origin and ethnic background, are eligible to apply.
- Applicants should demonstrate outstanding academic performance, research ability/potential, communication and interpersonal skills, and leadership abilities.
- The HKPF provides each awardee with a monthly scholarship of HK$10000 (US$2,560) and a conference and research related travel allowance of HK$10,000 (US$ 1,280) per year for a period up to three years. For HKPF awardee who are admitted to 4-year PhD Programme in 2017-18, the University will provide a monthly scholarship and travel allowance at the same level as the HKPF for their fourth year of study.
- University Postgraduate Fellowship (UPF)
- HKU University Postgraduate Fellowships are available for selected full-time PhD applicants with an excellent academic record. The Fellowship is worth HK$ 70,000 (US$ 8,970), which is awarded on top of the Postgraduate Scholarship (see below)*.
- *US$ 2,990 per year X 3 years or US$2,242 per year X 4 years, depending on whether it is 3- or 4-year PhD Programme.
- Postgraduate Scholarship (PGS)
- PGS is available for selected full-time MPhil and PhD students who hold a first degree with second-class honours first division (or equivalent) or above are normally considered eligible to receive a Postgraduate Scholarship during the normative study period. Candidates’ results in Master’s degrees may also be considered.
- Business and Economics
- Social Sciences
Scholarships are available for the duration of students’ nominative study period.
- Hong Kong PhD Fellowship (HKPF) Scheme: HK$ 240,000 /year
- HKU University Postgraduate Fellowships (UPF)^: HK$ 205,900 / year
- Postgraduate Scholarships (PGS): At least HK$ 188,400 / year
- ^Combined value of UPF / PGS
To apply for HKPF
Step 1 - To apply HKPFS reference number by submitting an Online Initial Application from http://cerg1.ugc.edu.hk/hkpfs/apply.html to the Research Grants Council (RGC) through RGC's on-line system from September 1 noon till December 1, 2016 noon.
Step 2 - To apply HKU application number by summiting an on-line application form and upload soft copies of supporting documents via the on-line application system of HKU from September 1 till December 1, 2016. You are required to indicate that you are applying for the HKPF in the on-line application form and quote the reference number assigned to you by the RGC.
To apply for UPF & PGS
There is no separate on-line application form for UPF and PGS; you may apply in the same application form at the HKU Online application system.