Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) Scholarship for Postgraduate StudiesThe Government of Japan offers the following scholarship programmes each year for Malaysian nationals to apply. Interested applicants are advised to read the guidelines carefully. Unless stated otherwise, scholarship applications should be made to the Embassy of Japan, Kuala Lumpur.
MEXT Scholarship Application PeriodMarch every year
Japanese Postgraduate Scholarship Overview & Eligibility requirement
- University or college graduate
- Under 35
- Duration: Maximum 2 years including Japanese-language training
- Preliminary Japanese-language training: 6 months (54 universities such as Hokkaido University) Those with sufficient Japanese proficiency are not required to go through preliminary Japanese- language training.
- Fields of study: Major in field of specialty at a graduate school
- Designated countries: Worldwide (168 countries and regions)
- Planned number of new scholarship recipients: 4,042 people
- Scholarship stipend: ¥143,000～148,000 per month
- Tuition: Tuition for national universities and Institute of National College of Technology waived; tuition for public and private universities paid for by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
- Travel allowance: Roundtrip fare (air ticket) provided
- Embassy recommendation: Yes
- University recommendation (overseas application): Yes
- Examinations required for Embassy recommendation for undergraduate students: Japanese, English (only applicants)
Sample Application Form/ Guidelines Download:Form / Sample / Guidelines
* Please read the guidelines carefully.
Application Process (application for academic year 2018)
- ~ 7 April 2017 Submit application form by due date.
- Government servants should apply to the Public Service Department of Malaysia
- May 2017 Written examination. Only successful candidates will be notified to sit for the examination.
- July 2017 Interview. Only successful candidates will be notified to attend the interview.
- August 2017 Nomination to Tokyo Headquarters. Nominees must submit a Letter of Acceptance from any university in Japan.
- January ~ February 2018 Notification of nomination result (final result).
- April or October 2018 Depart to Japan.
- Late submissions will not be entertained no matter what reasons are given.
- Applications without sufficient documents (stated in the guidelines) will not be considered.
- Submitted application forms and documents will not be returned, whatever reasons given.
- The decision on successful candidates made by the Embassy of Japan is final. Any queries on the final decision will not be entertained.