2 April 2016
Yayasan Sime Darby Pre-University Scholarship Programme (China)
Yayasan Sime Darby invites qualified SPM 2015 leavers to apply for education sponsorship to pursue foundation studies at Beijing Language and Culture University (BLCU).
We are looking for well-rounded Malaysian candidates who have attained excellent academic achievement, demonstrate outstanding leadership qualities as well as potential and who devote their time to make an impact to the community through their extra-curricular activities.
Recipients of this scholarship award will be sponsored to pursue foundation studies at Beijing Language and Culture University (BLCU) in China to prepare themselves for undergraduate admission at top universities in China in collaboration with China Scholarship Council (CSC).
YSD Pre-University scholars would be given priority for the YSD Excellence Scholarship Award (Undergraduate Overseas) to pursue their degrees in China, IF they meet the qualifying criteria upon completion of their foundation studies. The continuation of the degree programme is at the discretion of YSD.
Eligibility and Minimum Requirement
Applicant for this programme must fulfill the following requirements:
- Age 18 years old or below;
- Obtained at least 7 As (A+ and A only) for SPM 2015 Examination;
- Total monthly gross household income of RM10,000 and below;
- Active participation in extra-curricular activities, sporting event and community service;
- Strong leadership qualities through various leadership positions held in school and societies;
- Good communication skills;
- Keen to pursue foundation and undergraduate studies at selected universities approved by YSD in China.
Proficiency in Mandarin language is not a pre-requisite to apply.
Accepted Fields of Study
Scholarships will be offered to candidates who are inclined to pursue the following fields of study, subject to university’s admission's offer:
Business related courses:
- Chinese Language (with Foundation studies in Finance)
- Chinese Language (with Foundation studies in Economics)
- Chinese Language (with Foundation studies in Business Commerce)
- Chinese Language (with Foundation studies in Engineering)
Note: Scholarships for courses other than mentioned above are not available.
Accepted Universities in China
Below is the list of universities in China, accepted by YSD for the scholarship programme:
Beijing Language and Culture University (BLCU)
- Peking University
- Tsinghua University
- Zhejiang University
- Fudan University
- Nanjing University
- Shanghai Jiaotong University
- Wuhan University
- Renmin University of China
- Huazhong University of Science and Technology
- Sun Yat-sen University
- XinJiang University
Full scholarship includes tuition fees, board and lodging, computer allowance, shipping allowance, and flight ticket for beginning and end of study.
Recipients of scholarship will have the opportunity to undergo Scholars Development Programme and experience work exposure through internship within the Sime Darby Group of Companies.
Service Bond Period
On completion of foundation and undergraduate studies in China, scholars will be required to serve Sime Darby Group of Companies for 5 to 6 years, depending on the duration and value of the award.
Online application for 2016 intake is available from 3 March to 2 April 2016.
Incomplete applications and applications with insufficient supporting documents will be rejected.
Applicants will have to fill up and pass the eligibility check to apply for the scholarship. Applicants who pass the eligibility check will immediately receive via e-mail the login details to submit the application form via YSD scholarship portal (YSMS). Please read the Frequently Asked Questions and the Online Application Guidelines before you proceed.
Guidelines to Fill Up the Eligibility Check:
- For University, choose Beijing Language and Culture University as your option
- For Course field, choose "Example: Chinese Language (with Foundation studies in Finance)"
- For Status field, choose Pending. This means you have yet to apply for the university stated above. Admission to the university will be arranged by YSD for the recipients of this scholarship programme
- Login password must consist of alphanumeric character with at least one upper case
- To click save button at each page before proceeding to the next page
- Parents Mykad (front & back) to be scanned in a same page and uploaded as one attachment
- Individual attachment size must not exceed 1MB (file size can be reduced by adjusting printer/scanner resolution or by compressing the file)
- The answer given for page 11 of 12 should not exceed 500 characters in total. Characters refer to alphabet, symbols, numbers and etc. Make sure your answers are within the limit otherwise, you will not be able to properly submit your application.